Monday, May 23, 2011

Study, Study, Study, LONDON! Study, Study, Study...

Hello everyone!

I know it has been a while since I posted last, and that is because of two reasons: Firstly, I haven't been anywhere particularly exciting lately, and secondly, I have barely seen the light of day for three weeks because I have been writing essay after essay!

The school system here is so different. My classes have been going on all semester, but I haven't had a single assignment until recently, when all of my essays have been due. For two of my classes, my entire grade is the one essay that I turn in, and for the other two, the essay is half my grade, and an exam is the other half. This is an absolutely terrifying prospect for an American student who is used to multiple assignments, tests, projects, etc. making up the grade. So, I've been slaving away to make sure that I get good marks on these papers! I don't think I have ever started an essay three weeks before it was due, but I did for these ones! I turned in the first one on the 19th, another one today, and I have two due tomorrow. After that, I just have an exam review session on Thursday, and then two exams next week, and I am done with school!

I'm not sure how I feel about school coming to an end. On the one hand, it will be nice to have free time to hang out around Brighton, maybe hop up to London for the day, etc. On the other hand, school ending means that the semester is ending. I am definitely going to be sad to leave Brighton and the friends I have made here.

I did take a break from studying on Saturday. Some friends and I took a day trip to London. We were originally going to go see some of the Harry Potter sites, but that didn't exactly work out for us. We went to King's Cross station to go see platform 9 3/4, but when we got there, the lady said that it had been taken away because of construction. My inner 11 year old was BUMMED. But hopefully I'll be able to go back soon and see it. We went to see the alley that Diagon Alley was based off of, and were a little disappointed that it was nothing like we expected. After that, the 8 of us split up, and a couple of friends and I went wandering around London. My friend Alora and I rode the London Eye, a big ferris wheel sort of thing that is on the Thames River. Alora is afraid of heights, so it took a lot for her to go on it. When you get on it, you get in a big glass pod with about 15 other people. It takes around 25 minutes or so to get all the way around. We got some great pictures! It is so cool to be an hour train ride away from London! We're going again on Friday to go to the British Museum and the Tate Modern Museum. It should be fun!

Our King's Cross Station excited faces!

The closest thing I could get to pushing the trolley through the wall :(

Got Milk? Ron Weasley does!

The London Eye

Alora's London Eye excited face!

Our Pod

"Hey, Big Ben! How's It goin?"

Me in the Pod

The View from the top

My friend, Big Ben.

Double Decker bus on the bridge!

Far away view of the London Eye


Things I'm Loving: Study breaks, doing homework with friends, TEA WITH CAFFEINE!

Things I'm Not Loving So Much: Homework, the British Education System.

Things I'm Learning: Useless facts about British Social Policy, to appreciate my own school system.

I'll post again once finals are over!

Love, Jenn

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jenn,
    I love your blog! I'm going to be studying in Brighton Spring Semester next year, and i'm so terrified because I have no idea what to expect. How expensive is traveling and stuff like that? And how is the weather in the wintertime?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kirsten,
    That's so awesome that you'll be studying in Brighton! It's an AMAZING place! You're going to absolutely love it! Traveling is a bit on the expensive side, but it depends where you want to go, and how you want to get there. Ex: Trains tend to be cheaper than planes, hostels are cheaper than hotels (although that's not always true...), etc. When I got to Brighton in January, it was cold, especially for a California kid like me. I wore a heavy jacket with multiple layers under it, a scarf, and a hat almost every day until about March when the weather started warming up a little bit and I could lose the hat and scarf :) Brighton is pretty warm compared to the rest of England, though. If you have any other questions, let me know! I'd be more than willing to tell you about anything you want to know! ~Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have tons of questions! haha. Do you have an email that I could send you some?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely! It's jenrockseieio@aol.com :)

    ReplyDelete